My DIY projects and home decor attempts that hopefully help me to "fluff my nest!"

Sunday, January 10, 2010

What I've been up too




This. This is what's been occupying my time lately.I have to tell you I love it!!
I bought this for myself as an early Christmas present at the end of November. For the first week it sat on my table completely untouched. My husband asked me why I needed to buy it if it was going to sit on my table. The truth was, I was so intimidated by this piece of machinery!I was afraid to even turn it on. The sewing machine I had prior to this one was a small mini blue machine that I bought from Sears for about $50. I bought it solely for the purpose of sewing on cards and scrapbook layouts. I think I used it in that capacity for maybe a month or two. Then I never touched it again.
I can hardly be described as a seamstress. I call myself a "survival sewer". Everything I know was self taught. And that isn't a whole lot! I have never sewn a button hole or a zipper. But I can sew a pretty straight line if I have to! I can't follow a pattern to save my own life. I actually do pretty good sewing from my mind's eye. In the past I've sewn window treatments, a bed covering, embellished towels, etc. Lately I've been reading alot of sewing and quilting blogs. I have seriously been bitten by the quilting bug. I made a quilted rag purse a couple weeks ago. And I made a lap quilt for my youngest son for Christmas.







The lap quilt is FAR from perfect, but overall, it's not too bad for a first timer who was under a time crunch. My son loves his quilt and I enjoyed making it for him.My oldest son asked if I would make one for him too. I have so many other quilting projects I want to make. I am in deep I think! Now I just have to figure out how to afford 2 spendy hobbies at once!
Linking to Cindy at Cottage Instincts

Twice Remembereds Make Your Monday


DIY Show Off
The DIY Show Off

Somewhat Simple's Strut Your Stuff
giveaways

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at that cute bag!! And you say you're not a seamstress!? Pshaw! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! You make one project and you are a quilter! I suffer from "quilt pox" A LOT! You did a great job and I just love your color choices. I can't wait to see more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear you! I'd love to quilt too, just don't have the time or the money for one more crafty hobby. Totally envy your sewing machine. The one I have can do a bit more than just a straight stitch but not much more. Enjoy getting accquinted with your new best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bag and quilt are wonderful!
    I'm a self-taught sewist, too. But you're ahead of me...I'm still intimidated by quilts. All those little pieces make me nervous. LOL

    Kimberly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyn, I posted on your other blog too...I swear if you don't tell me how you made this I will SCREAM (and you will hear me from FL)!!!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see a thing wrong with that quilt! Great work! And good luck trying to squeeze in another hobby. Love the purse too. I was just looking at a new pattern for one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love that purse!!! Would love to know how u made it!! Fun!

    ReplyDelete